Monday, December 13, 2004

It was the howling of the wind that woke her. She could hear the porch door slam, the air whistle through her windows. "God. I'm glad I'm in here," she sighed as she wiggled her feet under her dog who was sound asleep at the foot of the bed.

The rain started. Or was it ice. Ice. It sounded too sharp to be rain. It was a nasty storm, probably the worst of the year. Henry sat up in bed. The iced rain pounded against the window. "Oh come here, it's okay." She pulled Henry in close attempting to calm him and selfishly warm herself. "I have so much to do tomorrow. Remind me to get some flowers for Father Smith. I have to do that. And that guy. I have to call that guy about his collection... Shhhh... it's okay, just a little rain, your a good boy."

She drifted to sleep with the sound of the wind and rain and her little furry dog next to her.


When she awoke the next morning snow had piled to the bottom of her windows.

No comments: